Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Does Kanye Have the Power?

I've listened to the song "Power" at least 30 times, I'm actually listening to it as I write this piece and I have one question. Is he currently the best rapper in the game right now, excluding nobody?

Early Ye fans will tell you his first two albums The College Dropout & Late Registration is when he was at his hungriest, therefore at his best, I'm not one of those fans. I believe his last two albums was when he was at his most evolved, therefore at his best. I believe, arguably, his best album was Graduation. I'll try and explain: I feel Graduation was the point when KanYe started to venture further than conventional Hip Hop songs. A hungry KanYe West didn't have the clout to do it, or he would've been considered a KiD CuDi type of artist. But setting the stage as he did with his first two Hip Hop albums KanYe gave himself some room to explore with songs like Stronger & Flashing Lights. A song like Bittersweet isn't a hot rap song in my opinion, its a hot song. If he's not the best rapper in the game right now, he's definitely the best musician in Hip Hop.

4 albums in and Yeezy has found a way to stay relevant throughout the ever changing Hip Hop scene and has mantained commercial and critical acclaim the entire time. The only album of his that received any backlash was obviously 808's & Heartbreak, but in my opinion I believe it was a great album. Welcome 2 Heartbreak is one of the most thought-provoking R & B songs I've heard in this generation. To understand how difficult that album was, picture Trey Songz making a Hip Hop album. By my count Yeezy has two classic albums and two hot ones, thats almost an unpararelled career. Ye might have another classic on his hands.

So now I have two questions to ask. Is he the best rapper in the game right now & how high would you rate him on your all-time list, factoring in albums, success (which IS the goal of being a rapper, whether fans like to admit it or not) and skill?

No comments:

Post a Comment